
David, Jack, and Jason here. This week we’re discussing interviews. One of the most sought-after goals of the business world is just landing a job interview, but what transpires when you’re actually in one?
Our very own Jack tells his story of an interview miscue:
“I’ve been to a few interviews, but I want to talk about one in particular. I was still in high school and my dad got me this interview with a company that specialized in making signs for billboards. I had no real experience other than being in some art programs in school. I went in totally unprepared and completely bombed the interview. I felt like all of the questions just caught me off guard. I didn’t know how to reply and I had no idea that the whole experience could be so intimidating. I went in thinking that it would be easy, but I was way off. At the time I felt horrible about it, but looking back I realize that it really was a beneficial experience. I now know that I need to prepare in one way or another just so that I don’t feel overwhelmed. I don’t recommend ever going into an interview completely under prepared.”
And there lies the key to pulling off a great interview: preparation.
To help prepare yourself for a potential interview, the Perfect Interview site asks different interview questions (you can customize it to fit your specific discipline or dream job) and allows you to respond via video or written word. The video option is a tremendous help as it allows you to play it back to witness your response. You may pick up on non-verbal actions you may not have realized.
Visit the site and see how well you fare. Based on preparedness for the different questions that are given, what grade would you give yourself? After reviewing your responses, what are your strengths? What areas do you need to improve? Would you have hired you based on the interview?
For even more tips, check out what U.S. News and World Report posted as “The Top 10 Most Common Job Interview Questions” earlier this year. The questions seem simple enough but tend to evoke a wide array of responses (be sure to check out the suggestions they offer, especially in regards to salary).
Give some thoughts to the prompts and provide some of your thoughts and questions when it comes to interviews. As always, please post by 11:59 pm EST on Sunday and don’t forget to include your full name when posting.
With that, we will conclude our Mentoring assignments. It was pleasure interacting with all of you and we hope that the Interdisciplinary path continues to help each of you in your pursuit of your goals.
Our very own Jack tells his story of an interview miscue:
“I’ve been to a few interviews, but I want to talk about one in particular. I was still in high school and my dad got me this interview with a company that specialized in making signs for billboards. I had no real experience other than being in some art programs in school. I went in totally unprepared and completely bombed the interview. I felt like all of the questions just caught me off guard. I didn’t know how to reply and I had no idea that the whole experience could be so intimidating. I went in thinking that it would be easy, but I was way off. At the time I felt horrible about it, but looking back I realize that it really was a beneficial experience. I now know that I need to prepare in one way or another just so that I don’t feel overwhelmed. I don’t recommend ever going into an interview completely under prepared.”
And there lies the key to pulling off a great interview: preparation.
To help prepare yourself for a potential interview, the Perfect Interview site asks different interview questions (you can customize it to fit your specific discipline or dream job) and allows you to respond via video or written word. The video option is a tremendous help as it allows you to play it back to witness your response. You may pick up on non-verbal actions you may not have realized.
Visit the site and see how well you fare. Based on preparedness for the different questions that are given, what grade would you give yourself? After reviewing your responses, what are your strengths? What areas do you need to improve? Would you have hired you based on the interview?
For even more tips, check out what U.S. News and World Report posted as “The Top 10 Most Common Job Interview Questions” earlier this year. The questions seem simple enough but tend to evoke a wide array of responses (be sure to check out the suggestions they offer, especially in regards to salary).
Give some thoughts to the prompts and provide some of your thoughts and questions when it comes to interviews. As always, please post by 11:59 pm EST on Sunday and don’t forget to include your full name when posting.
With that, we will conclude our Mentoring assignments. It was pleasure interacting with all of you and we hope that the Interdisciplinary path continues to help each of you in your pursuit of your goals.
Job interviews are mildly uncomfortable for me because I have always avoided situations where I am required to sell something. In an interview, essentially, you are selling yourself. I feel as I’ve gotten older and gained experience in the working field, this discomfort has eased solely because I’ve become better at talking to people—not because I have become better at being interviewed. The interviews I’ve had that have gotten me the positions that are most significant in my career have been very casual (lucky for me!) and based more around how personable I was and knowledge of the field/product than formal questions. Of course, I’ve had to answer the “what are your weaknesses” and “tell me about your experience” questions, but I’ve never sought out a position in an environment where it was necessary for the interview to have any sort of formal structure to it. Though I’ve gotten every job I’ve interviewed for, I’ve definitely faltered in interviews that even slightly resemble this, so I know I will need A LOT of practice and preparation if I am to continue on in the professional business world or pursue a field where the interview is more intimidating than those that I’ve experienced.
ReplyDeleteSara Matthews
So you're batting 1.000 and you're still looking to improve? Your desire to get better is impressive, but you should be more confident! I have had the distinction of being the interviewer in this situation and I can honestly tell you that I didn't let the interviewee's nervousness factor into the decision. I focus on what the interviewee says. I bet that's pretty common.
ReplyDeleteBut getting better definitely takes practice and time. It is a situation that creates nervousness, but focus on your words and you'll be fine. I'm sure you're a better interview subject that you give yourself credit for,
I’ve always hated answering the dreaded “weaknesses” question with an exaggerated strength because it always felt so dishonest and trite to me. I appreciate the advice that this blogger offered: http://www.askamanager.org/2007/08/how-to-answer-what-are-your-weaknesses.html. I started being honest about my weaknesses in the work environment, but may not have been answering as eloquently as I could have. The “two-part” response is a much better approach to this question than I was taking and I will definitely keep this in mind when preparing for my next interview.
ReplyDeleteSara Matthews
It sounds strange, but in my current field of employment (bar/restaurant/service industry), I’ve always gotten some joy out of dealing with the most unpleasant customers. When a “regular” who is typically grumpy has nothing to complain about (as far as service goes) OR someone who has gotten completely worked up ends up leaving satisfied, I feel like I’m doing my job as well as I can. Also, because of this, I have a variety of ways to answer the “tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer” question. I probably wouldn’t use this example in an interview unless I was able to put it a bit more eloquently and derive some point other than entertainment out of it, but one of my first tests in my management position as my current job (wine bar) was during rush on a Friday night. We are a relatively small establishment and our employee parking lot is comically small, so it is standard practice to “block” each other in, especially if the shift is heavily staffed. I parked behind what I believed to be my fellow manager’s car; as it turns out, the vehicle belonged to a customer. Although it only takes about 3 minutes from the time they attempt to leave for the staff to figure out what the issue is and whose car is behind them, the couple is exceedingly upset. The music in the restaurant literally stopped and a string of expletives and derogatory comments left the gentlemen’s mouth. At the end of his rant, my manager is standing behind me and I simply say, “Well, I’ll grab my keys and move my car now, then. The employee entrance is this way.” While no resolve came from the issue from the customer’s perspective, my manager was very proud of my poise and ability to uphold the standards of the restaurant, even when faced with an extreme occurrence of customer misconduct.
ReplyDelete*A funny aside, as my manager escorted the couple and I out of the building, one of my co-workers started a “slow-clap” that the 50 patrons bearing witness joined in.
Sara Matthews
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI've probably been on hundreds of interviews. I was laid off three times. Each interview was a learning experience. I use to be intimidated by walking in a room with many applicants, but after a while I had the attitude "If I get it, I'll get. If I don't, I'll survive" I've learn the improve my resume and interview skills
ReplyDeleteLatevia Gainey
I have to admit, UCF has a lot of career tools. I wouldn't have known, until I took this course. I took the Perfect Interview and I liked it. It's one thing to go over your interview in your head, but to see yourself in a video is great. One think I notice was I didn't use eye contact. I answered the questions, but I was looking into space...lol.
ReplyDeleteLatevia Gainey
One type of interview that I DISLIKE are group interviews. I'm with Sara, I hate trying to sell myself and I prefer one on ones. I use to wish they would save me the gas money and trim the applicants list down. The biggest group interview I've been on was with 50 people. Anyone who was five minutes late, the doors were locked and they weren't allowed in. Each of us were confused because it was so many people in a conference room. Each applicant had to stand and give a reason why we deserved the job. The interviewer made it clear that if she didn't find job openings for four people, she would look for another group of 50. I wanted to walk out of that room, but I drove so far and I had to at least try. I didn't get the job, but I wasn't sad about it because I figured I probably didn't want to work in the that type of environment.
ReplyDeleteLatevia Gainey
I LOVED that parking story, Sara. That's hilarious and it shows an example of your professionalism.
ReplyDelete-- David Smith
Latevia, I'm glad you took advantage of Perfect Interview. Other than eye contact, was there anything you would have improved? What did you think your strengths were?
ReplyDeleteSara,
ReplyDeleteI've always felt awkward about trying to sell myself too. I think that one of the most difficult interview questions is, "what are some of your strengths and weaknesses?" It is hard to define yourself in just a few words. I've been on some interviews that weren't so casual and what I can say that I've learned is that you just need to be prepared. Try and have most of your bases covered and you should be fine.
Jack Warren
Latevia,
ReplyDeleteI’ve never been in a group interview, but like you I don’t think I’d care for it at all. It seems disrespectful of the interviewees and in my opinion if you don’t respect the people you’re interviewing there’s not much hope that you’ll respect your employees either.
Interviews aren’t my favorite thing to do in any case. Practice does make it easier and as you said seeing yourself in a video is a quick way to spot those problem areas.
Good luck in future interviews!
Patricia Anderson
Interviews can be intimidating and a little humbling. I have conducted many interviews and been interviewed a few times as well. I can tell you that any interviewer that is worth a lick is looking for traits. They want to know who you are, how are you going to fit in and what you can be taught. I don’t want to sound like a downer but your degree isn’t going to do anything for you if you can’t perform; under pressure, in a group setting or in a new atmosphere. Its all up to you, the real world is not the classroom or a professor’s idea of what the real world is. Its hard and unforgiving, especially is business.
ReplyDeleteCiao
Stan Krajewski
Now that I have taken the life out of the Blog…. I will be positive. LOL!
ReplyDeleteLook, it all starts with you. Everything else is superfluous. It’s the icing on the cake, the cherry on top, yada, yada, yada. Being you is the best advice I can give you if you want to get a job. I can see phony a mile a way, and frankly it’s a waste of everyone’s time. Study the company you are applying too and be prepared to answer questions. Confidence can come from being prepared, so be prepared. Answer honestly, if you don’t know, say so. There is nothing worse than lying in an interview. Don’t do it.
Ciao,
Stan Krajewski
Last Blog, the ship is sailing.
ReplyDeleteDo you know what I said at my face to face interview with the hiring manager at American Honda Corp? I said “you would be crazy to let me walk out of the room and not offer me the job, talent like mine doesn’t come along every day”. HAHA, I am serious! They let me walk, but I got the job a week later. Zurich insurance flew me too Philadelphia, Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, Hartford and Seattle over a two month period for a job. I ended up not wanting to move to Seattle, so that ended that. But, I had fun and learned a lot along the way. My point is enjoy the ride, take it as a compliment that an employer wants to speak to you, there are millions of resumes that get round filed (trash can) every day. So why be nervous? They want to talk to you, make an impression and don’t be afraid.
Remember the resume, the degree, and whatever else you think you have in your corner will not get you hired. ‘You’ get yourself hired.
Ciao,
Stan Krajewski
Great job everybody, mentees and fellow mentors. Thank you Sara, Beth, Latevia, and Stan for sharing your experiences and engaging us. I hope you've found this exchange as valuable as I have. I wish the best of luck and success in your futures and smooth sailing in whatever plans you may have. Remember us when you get to "Capstone"! I hope we've imparted something of value to each and every one of you--that was our sincere goal.
ReplyDelete--Jonathan Harris
The interview practice was a great tool and exercise. It allows for you to not only give responses but play back your video so you can pick up on non-verbal actions you may not have realized.
ReplyDeleteThe best way to answer some of the standard vs. non-standard questions is to give more then just generic qualities about your self. I have always used an example to back up positive attributes that involve stating what the situation was, what tactics or actions you took and end with the results to back up your initial statement.
Final note:
Thank you to everyone, mentees and fellow mentors alike! Like Jonathan mentioned we hope you all found a take away from this experience and feel well prepared for Capstone. Good luck and best of wishes to you all.
Blythe Whitinger