Sunday, June 12, 2011

Topic # 2

TOPIC 2






Who? What? Am I? Where did I come from?
When? Where? Why? Am I going?
                                               


Hello everyone! Jonathan here, and on behalf of my mentoring cohorts, welcome to Topic 2.

          This week we’re going to consider our work philosophy, educational and career goals, and hopefully discern if we are naturally inclined to integration and interdisciplinary thinking.  Integration is a term you should become intimately familiar with in all its connotations. 
        
          In doing so, apply a broad focus across contexts, time and space.  Informal as well as formal education, along with any work experience, hobbies and interests, and volunteer opportunities you’ve taken advantage of should be considered.  All these components have shaped your worldview, assumptions, and biases, and have ultimately made you who and what you are today—more importantly perhaps, they have dictated and shaped your goals.

          It’s important to have this self-awareness before you can expect to communicate and articulate to others your knowledge, experience, and aspirations and be a competent, confident, and effective interdisciplinarian.  Are you now or are you going to be a follower or a leader?  Are you conforming to the status-quo or do you have a vision? 
         
           These questions and the considerations above are constantly being critically analyzed and reconsidered as I progress along my path and without a doubt are always subject to revision.  It is so easy to “settle for less” unless I maintain vigilance.  The forces of social-modeling are so pervasive and persuasive it is easy to lose sight of the “prize,” whatever it may be, and have our creativity lobotomized and thereby squelched, whereby everybody, society, and culture, remain less than what they could be.

My personal work philosophy is grounded in an ethic instilled by my grandfathers and father in particular:  hard work pays off, do the best job you can, and never give in or give up.  That can be extended in numerous directions but I’ve essentially carried it with me to this day.  I started working when I was five years old in my father’s store and worked on my grandfather’s farms in the summer.  I’ve worked full-time since the sixth grade with periodic intermissions—another leg of my philosophy is I do what I want, when I want, where I want, if I want.  It’s my life force and if I don’t find value and satisfaction or a sense of contributing to the greater good, I opt out.  I’ve never given up my liberty or compromised my values in favor of security—it also helps that I’m a minimalist in regard to consumption and material—which is a product of the “Depression Era” ethics that were instilled in me and the environment I imbibed.  In general, even when I'm under extreme pressures at work or school, I'm "chillin'".

This sense of independence and “free spirit” modus has served me well and in many ways has directed my career path and goals.  Since satisfaction and fulfillment are the overarching goals, everything always falls into place.  There is some obtuse statistic, I think it’s in the 80% range, of Americans who are dissatisfied with, or downright hate their jobs.  I hate that for them!  Really!

This is what attracted me to the IDS program.  I’ve been able to construct and direct my education, tailoring it to my specific interests.  The program has also allowed me to explore my options.  I didn’t have any particular direction when I started:  my grandfather passed away in 2004 at age 88 and I realized the only unfulfilled promise outstanding was my promise to him and his desire that I’d get my college degree.

 I’ve decided to attend graduate school and get my M.A. in Educational Leadership and I hope to teach history, or one of the social sciences at the Community College level.  In conjunction with my informal education and work experience, I think I will present a “well-rounded” package and I anticipate nothing but success.  Ancillary to this, I plan to pursue the CAP, Certified Addiction Professional certification in conjunction with an M.A. in Transpersonal Studies.  Things have changed…versatility, flexibility, and cross-training are essentials in the world we inhabit today.  It’s time to solve these problems that plague humanity and it’s my belief success can only be achieved with the application of interdisciplinary thinking and approaches.  My areas of Social/Behavioral Science, Letters; in conjunction with the History minor, strategically position me to offer solutions and add value to my portfolio.

          If you’d care to consider Ralph Waldo Emerson’s essay "Self Reliance." He may have some insights for you—he did for me.  As you peel away the layers and dig down deep, you will be both surprised and pleased with what you find.



Topics of conversation:

       How would you describe your personal philosophy?

         How has your career path/goals been influenced by your personal philosophy?

Explain how your philosophy and career goals relate to your IDS major?

Remember – these questions are suggestions for conversation topics and you are free to choose your own focus.

Don’t forget to sign all your postings with your first and last names!

--Jonathan Harris, Patricia Anderson, Blythe Whitinger


18 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I don’t know if I have a specific philosophy, but I do try to get up everyday with a clean slate. Everyday is a gift and you should be excited about each and every one of them. I know some of those days are the “bad tie” or “fruitcake” that you want to return, but it’s still a gift none the less. I would suppose my Philosophy is “love life”, until I get to the transcendent this is the only life I have, I am going to live it.

    In work I take the same approach, give it your best everyday and be satisfied at the end of the day in your efforts. Work towards goals, and set a higher standard for yourself, and success in any measure will come in your career.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again,

    In trying to make a decision in my major I didn’t want to be limited to one discipline. I wanted to study a lot of things, but I wanted them to be cohesive and congruent in terms of my career goals. I can get bored very quickly with subject matter, so I wanted diversity. This led me to IDS. My personal philosophy also played a part in this decision, I wanted to really enjoy my college experience, I didn’t want to think of it as a means to an end, but an experience that I would enjoy devoting time to every day. IDS keeps me interested because of the varied subject matter.

    Someone once told me “you need to love what you do whatever it is, if not, do something else”. Life is short, and you are probably going to have more than one career, so love life and do something that you want to do. I left a lucrative career because I was unhappy and hated going to work. I made a sharp turn and walked into the abyss (college) and I couldn’t be happier with the decision. It hasn’t been easy monetarily, but personally gratifying.



    Cheers,

    Stan Krajewski

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Stan,

    Awesome philosophy and great outlook. There was a book that was popular a while back called "Do What you love...the Money Will Follow" which sounds like the route you've taken...although it, in relation to the mainstream is "The Road Less Traveled." It's great to greet each day with optimism isn't it!

    I can relate in a big way to the boredom issue. That's the greatest thing about the IDS degree and even within the areas. One of mine is Social/Behavioral Sciences and the availability and diversity of courses offered is immense.

    Thank you for making my day! Your good cheer has made this week a little lighter. Yes, one of those weeks! I love fruitcake by the way...used to hate it but for some reason the last couple of years I've developed a taste for it. Sometimes there's no accounting for taste!

    -Jonathan Harris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stan,
    I love your philosophy on life and I completely agree that every day is a gift. I had never thought about those gifts in quite the same way you described, but I laughed thinking about some of my days as the gift of “fruitcake” and have to agree that sums it up nicely.

    I didn’t want to be limited to one discipline either and was thrilled to find my IDS major. It has allowed me to incorporate different areas of study that I find interesting into a degree that is diverse and yet intricately woven together. It sounds like you’re doing the same thing. As you continue to hold onto your personal and professional philosophies I’m sure you’ll find yourself in a career that you love.

    Patricia Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely have adopted philosophies over the years that have helped me make discussions that lead all the way to choosing IDS.

    First, “Live life to the fullest, giving more than taking.” Basically this means to be a contributing member of society and leave the world a better place than when you got here. This was the reason I chose to study engineering, primarily environmental. I wanted to learn and find ways to do the most with the time that I have to make the world better place. I know that may sound like naive idealism but in all seriousness it really was and still is a goal of mine.

    Second, “In the end, all you have is you.” This might not be what others think but it’s what I believe and it impacts my life and decisions daily. What this means to me is that all the worrying about what others think and trying to meet their expectations, will eventually have no meaning. In the end I will have to live with what I have done in my life and own up to my choices regardless of the impact of others. Along with my first philosophy, this also makes me think of how a treat others and what I want to do with my life. This also is what allows me to make decisions that lead to my own personal fulfillment and happiness.

    Lastly, “Except nothing but the best and rarely you will receive less.” Even though life may not deal the best hand at times, I believe that you can influence the hand your dealt buy not going to a casino that stacks its deck in the houses favor. I think there are choices you can make to accept higher standards in life in order to have good experiences and less personal struggle. I use this way of thinking when choosing friends and acquaintances. If you surround yourself with ill intentioned and morality deficient people, you might experience problems that, if not for that environment, wouldn’t exist in your personal life. I adopted this philosophy after quitting college for a while and realizing I was on a path of poor choices, relationships and had no personal goals and standards. This got me back into college and making goals to meet my high expectations of what I wanted to accomplish with my life.

    All three of these together provide focus and direction for me. I kept changing majors every two years because I wasn’t happy fully in that major. I then decided that I liked different areas of study and that I needed to do something to incorporate all three, engineering, science and math. IDS would let me do that and a career in teaching would give me personal fulfillment and give back to society while being part of a respected and value community with high standards. My personal philosophies lead to this decision all the way.

    Elizabeth Sanford

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elizabeth,

    Beautiful words and eloquently put. I admire everything you said. The old saying "show me your friends and I'll show you your future" really is true. It's amazing how your life changes when you make those kinds of adjustments: I can ENTIRELY relate!

    I'm working towared teaching as well and hope to be in the History discipline at the community college level. History is my minor and favorite subject. I think there's a lot of opportunity for impact at that level as so many people will never "imbibe" history after leaving their "60" hour AA. I have a thing about geography and I'd truly like to enhance that component: spatial orientation and all that!

    Keep on keepin' on! It looks like you're on your way to accomplishing all of your goals. I believe we can impact the world by the way...one person at a time...we'll get there. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Jonathan Harris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Elizabeth,

    Your personal philosophies are clear and can be easily related to. I really identify with “except nothing but the best and rarely you will receive less.” Making good choices in regards to who you let into your inner circle does influence many areas of one's life.

    I make an effort to "enjoy and make life better" each and every day. I apply this to my work life and attempt to have a positive impact on others. Remembering to show my appreciation to others has allowed me to have greater influence and success.

    Thank you for your contribution to the discussion!

    Blythe Whitinger

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems like most of us have similar underlying themes to the philosophies that guide our lives. It's nice that we have goals and are all focusing on living happy lives and giving back. It's neat to have so much in common with all of you.

    Elizabeth Sanford

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My personal philosophy is to enjoy life, but to work for future generations. My parents were poor and worked in the fields during their teens and early twenties in Georgia. My parents worked really hard, to provide a better future for my family. By their hard work, my siblings were able to go to college. We were taught to work hard, so our future children future would be better than ours. This type of work ethic also taught us the importance of family and how everyday is a blessing.

    -Latevia Gainey

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As far as my career goals, I was confused because I didn't know what direction to take. However, I learn to never give up. My decisions would affect my future children's lives. It taught me to push on and try to figure out this problem I was facing. I learn to keep setting goals.

    -Latevia Gainey

    ReplyDelete
  15. My goals and philosophy relate to my IDS major, in that I'll end up doing something I love. I'll be able to someday work in a field I enjoy. It's easier to stay in one place, if you enjoy what you're doing. Graduating, will get me closer to where I need to be. This makes it easier for my future children.


    -Latevia Gainey

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Latevia,

    It takes a far-sighted person to look ahead for the welfare and happiness of the next generation. That is truly selfless and a gift. The IDS major does indeed give us more flexibility and latitude to migrate toward something that will give us satisfaction and happiness.

    Where in Georgia is your family from? I spent all my summers working on my grandparents farm which was about 25 miles NE of Atlanta in Loganville. That experience is a very large component of my informal education and like you said, there is no better example of the work ethic than in the country. Nice to meet you and thanks for taking me back...I've been busy and have neglected to think about the old folks.

    Jonathan Harris

    ReplyDelete
  17. Latevia,

    I share the same personal philosophy as you and as Elizabeth said, it is great to see our blog having so much in common! Your work ethic and family focus is admirable as well.

    Doing something you love really makes the difference between a job and a true career. I too look forward to my IDS major leading me further down the path to doing things that will affect my future and impact others is a positive manner.

    Blythe Whitinger

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Blythe and Jonathan. My mother is from Lyons, Georgia, which is a few miles from Vidalia.

    ReplyDelete